Trodé Khangsar
Trodé Khangsar (sprod bde khang gsar) is a two-story temple on the southwest side of the old section of Lhasa. It dates from the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama (1617-1682), who converted a small personal residence of his into a chapel for the protector Dorjé Shukden (rdo rje shugs ldan). The temple was later entrusted to Riwo Chöling (ri bo chos gling) monastery in the Yarlung valley. Before 1959, the temple was home to as many as a dozen monks as well as an oracle of Dorjé Shukden. After 1959 the temple ceased to function as a religious institution. Riwo Chöling was able to reopen the second floor of the temple as a temple in 1986 and has since undertaken some renovation work. The first floor is now used as public housing.
Feature Types
- Buddhism > Geluk
- Tibetan Event > Founding (1750)
- Building materials > Stone
- Building dimensions > Massive structure
- Tibetan Event > Construction (1670 (estimated))
- Building dimensions > Stories: 2